Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Impressions: Arkham City Gameplay Trailer



I'm just going to jump right into the nuts and bolts of the first gameplay trailer for the newest Batman game, Arkham City.

The Good:
Animation - There is still a lot of versatility to the way Batman moves and fights; it does not look like this game is going to disappoint in that category.
Graphics - Arkham City is just as good-looking as its predecessor, if not more so. Gotham looks decrepit and evil, which is exactly what they are going for. The atmosphere especially is excellent.
Voice Acting - The voice actors for both Batman and the Joker are the same as they were in the 1990's television show, and everything sounds great as usual.
Flight - The "dive-bombing" that you see in the trailer will be how Batman gets around in the game. I wasn't sure if Rocksteady was going to be able to pull off flight for Batman in an open-world game, but I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Combat - Smashing two enemies together, the way Batman was always meant to? Yes, please.

The Bad/ The "Why?"
Trailer - As cool as the game looks, I don't like how they went about making the trailer. The slow-motion, accompanied with the song... I just can't quite buy it. The game still looks awesome, but the trailer reminds me way too much of Call of Duty: Black Ops (which was accompanied by Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones).

As promised, I've also included the cinematic trailer below:

No comments:

Post a Comment